Skip to navigation Skip to main content
   | Site Map Feedback Search Login 

Northern Tennis


Origins of Tennis Northern

Tennis Northern Inc. is an amateur sports body promoting and managing the game of tennis from the Harbour Bridge to Cape Reinga. Tennis Northern is made up of 44 affiliated clubs and 6,400 members throughout its region. The organisations mission is more people playing more tennis more often.

 

Tennis Northern was first formed in 1948 as the North Shore Lawn Tennis sub association, to North Shore Tennis Association in 1964. In 1994 Tennis North Harbour was formed before a SPARC review led to sweaping changes within the administrative structure of tennis in NZ in 2008. Tennis Northern became one of six regions (alongside Auckland, Waikato-Bays, Central, Canterbury and Southern) affiliated to the sports national body - Tennis New Zealand (TNZ). Tennis Northern has a remaining sub-association agreement with the Northland Tennis Association, based in Whangarei.

 

Tennis Northern operates from the Albany Tennis Park, which along with the Forrest Hill Tennis Centre is one of two Tennis Northern facilities. The Albany Tennis Park is a pay to play facility with over 75,000 visitors each year. There are six international standard indoor tennis courts, thirteen outdoor hardcourts and four outdoor artificial grass courts. The Forrest Hill Tennis Centre, historic home of tennis on the shore, has seventeen courts - eight astro grass and nine hardcourt. The centre operates under the management of Kevin Doh of Tennislife.